Temporal Mandibular Dysfunction Treatment at Innova
Innova's Temporal Mandibular Dysfunction (TMD) program was created to address a specific niche of patients who suffer from TMD, Cervicogenic Headache and Cervicogenic Dizziness. We can help decrease pain and inflammation, increase range of motion (if restricted), improve the quality of opening/closing movements, improve stability and motor control, reduce muscle tension, and provide dietary recommendations, when necessary.
Symptoms of TMD include TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) pain, headache, ear pain, tooth pain, TMJ noise, limited range of motion, and deviations of jaw opening/closing movement.
Common Causes of TMD
- Bruxism: repetitive or sustained movements of the jaw e.g. clenching, grinding, etc.
- Overuse syndrome: e.g. gum chewing, etc
- Trauma: whiplash, strains, injury, motor vehicle accident, assault, athletic injury, etc.
- Degenerative changes: e.g. Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, etc.
- Tooth malalignment/dental malocclusion
- Prolonged wide opening: e.g. during anesthesia, prolonged dental procedures, etc.
- Post oral surgery: e.g. wisdom tooth removal, Orthognatic reconstructive surgery, etc.
- Posture imbalance and prolonged neck positioning: e.g. prolonged forward head and sleeping positions, etc.
- Cervical Spine Dysfunction: e.g. Segmental instability, degenerative changes, etc.
- Psychosocial factors: e.g. stress, anxiety, depression, etc.
- Manual therapies such as joint mobilization, specific traction, and muscular release.
- Neuromuscular re-education to train and support optimal movement patterns/strategies.
- Therapudic exercise to address contributing impairments.
- Modalities such as ultrasound, electric stimulation, heat, ice, and biofeedback.
- Posture/ergonomics improvements at home, in the car, and at work.
- Breathing exercises that help to promote optimal breathing patterns, reduce muscle tension, and relax the central nervous system.
- Education regarding pathology, modification of contributing factors, and progression.
Our TMD specialists have been clinically mentored by Dr. Pam Schuerman who has 50 years of experience specializing in TMD. Innova's clinicians are highly trained, specialized and passionate about helping people improve their lives.